February 19, 2008

The Good Dentist: Accommodating all Patients


Visiting the dentist on a regular basis is not always easy for a majority of people. For some it is too costly, others do not have time, many fear going to the dentist all together, and some are simply unreliable. As I get closer and closer to entering my profession as a dentist, I have realized that it is not only important to be technically proficient and knowledgeable about multiple disease states, but it is also imperative to acquire a knack in order to cater to a broad spectrum of patients. After entering the blogosphere for the first time, it was refreshing to see that several dentists and organizations are now attempting to accommodate all of their patients through a variety of ways. Richmond Dental Implants was the first blog I came across, and I examined the post, Sedation Dentistry in Richmond,” published by Dr. Scott Gore D.D.S. He is a graduate of the Medical College of Virginia, School of Dentistry, and is a proud advocate of sedation dentistry. Sedation dentistry (see picture to right) appears to allow the busy patient to receive the type of treatment they need in a time efficient manner, and may make a visit more pleasant for patients with dental phobia. The other post that interested me was found within a blog written by a USC student, Melody Chiu. Her entry entitled, “USC School of Dentistry Students Check Local Children’s Oral Hygiene,” discusses how USC is assisting patients and families with low incomes by providing them with a trip to the dentist and exposure to proper oral hygiene, as seen in the picture below. I have offered my comments on both posts below and directly on the authors’ blog page.

Comment (Sedation Dentistry in Richmond):
It seems to me that whenever I mention my aspirations of becoming a dentist to those who ask about my future career plans, the majority cringe. At least at some point in your career, I am sure you have also experienced family, friends, and even patients telling you, “I hate going to the dentist!” or something along those lines. As you mention in your post, people avoid the dentist for a number of reasons: some are too busy to get to the dentist regularly, others get physically sick, some people have severe back and neck pain that make sitting in a chair uncomfortable, and several get claustrophobic or anxious, to name a few. Although my father is not a dentist, he is a very successful gynecologist, and has demonstrated to me over the years how very important it is to find a way to accommodate all types of patients. What is intriguing to me about your article is that sedation dentistry seems to be a technique that can help patients who dread a trip to the dentist for a variety of reasons. Being naïve in the field of dentistry at this point, I have very little knowledge about sedation dentistry. You do mention it involves taking pills, that the patient is not asleep, and that it promotes relaxation. Having an interest in medicine as well, and to ensure a patient’s well being, I would like to know more about the composition of these pills, side effects, and who specifically may or may not benefit from this new technique. As you have probably experienced in your practice, children especially tend to have a difficult time at the dentist. With this in mind, I am interested in knowing if sedation dentistry is safe for the younger patient, and if this technique may affect them differently than it would affect adults. Finally, you mention it allows you to do several procedures in one sitting and may shorten recovery time for the patient. Fewer trips to the dentist and a less painful and shorter recovery time are aspects of sedation dentistry that would clearly be appealing to all people. With the significance of being able to accommodate a wide variety of patients, do you feel that sedation dentistry may be the way of the future in dental medicine for everyone? Thank you for your time.

Comment (USC School of Dentistry Student’s Check Local Children’s Hygiene):
Recently, I published a post that discusses how the mouth may be used as a diagnostic tool for diagnosing other systemic diseases. When I came across your post, I found it quite interesting that the number one reason why kids from the Los Angeles Unified School District are missing school is because of tooth-related problems that ultimately affect the rest of the body. It was fulfilling to find facts within your post that relate to a previous post of mine. However, what truly caught my attention within your entry was the idea of USC dental school students taking action to help less fortunate children from low income families solve these tooth-related problems. As you probably can agree, a necessary ingredient to becoming a successful practitioner is being capable of accommodating a variety of patients and their needs. You mention that a lot of kids end up with infections because their parents cannot afford to take them to the dentist. It is very uplifting to see, through exposure to proper oral hygiene, that USC students are helping children get the treatment they need while eliminating some of the expenses. I think it is great that USC is teaming up with the American Dental Association to provide basic screenings and required sealants for children, but I believe disease prevention and reduction of tooth decay starts with knowing how to eat and brush properly. With intentions of becoming an orthodontist, I completely agree with Dr. Holtzman when she states in your post that, “Teeth are very important in the way we feel about ourselves.” To be able to enhance a patient’s confidence by providing them with appropriate care and a beautiful smile will be very rewarding. Accommodating my patients’ needs, whether it be cutting costs, or making their experience more pleasant, while providing care at the same time will be even more rewarding. Your post was very engaging. Thanks for your time.

1 comment:

AIV said...

As an aspiring health administrator, quality of care is one of the constant recurring themes in my education. I am glad to see that someone who is aspiring to be part of the medical world is already interested in making sure to accommodate for all types of patients, because this will ensure that you are providing the best quality of care for your patients. I liked the way you engaged with the author on the first post by asking him more specific questions about the types of medicine as well as about the safety of this practice. I myself had those same questions after reading his post. My only critique would be that the opening sentences of your first comment sounds very much like your opening paragraph, and while this might not pose a problem when leaving a comment on someone else’s page, it serves as a distraction for people who are reading this comment straight out of your blog.

Your second comment also was very interesting to read. I can really relate to this cause because two years ago I spent a whole summer working with underprivileged children in my hometown in Mexico doing a similar job. I went around the different elementary schools and taught children how to properly brush their teeth, as well as applied special fluoride gel and exfoliating toothpaste to the children, because most of them had never visited the dentist. It was an extremely rewarding experience and it even made me contemplate the possibility of becoming a dentist. Seeing that our university is also engaging in projects such as these makes me glad we are actually trying to make an impact within the community in which we live. Your ability to create a relation between your earlier post and Melody’s post works to make your blog as a whole more credible and stronger, and I commend that.

 
Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported License.